Sunday, May 17, 2009

I Wish I Had Answered That Question Differently!

Summer is almost here and maybe you are thinking about getting a summer teaching job. For some, this may be your first ESL job interview, and you may not have any ESL teaching experience. Therefore, here are some questions I have been asked in previous job interviews and other questions my co-workers have shared with me. I hope they help you feel more confident when going for an interview...Because I don't want you to say what I end up saying a few times: "I wish I had answered that questions differently!!!"

1. How would you handle a problematic student?
2. What would you do if a student shows up to your classroom, in the middle of the semester, and he wants to be in the class?
3. What do you enjoy the most and the least about teaching ESL?
4. Do you think is okay to talk to ESL students in their native language?
5. Do you see yourself teaching ESL 5 years from now?
6. What are your main goals when designing your teaching lessons?
7. Describe your teaching style in three words.
8. How would you incorporate technology in the classroom?
9. Briefly talk about your teaching philosophy.
10. What language experiences (or language background) do you have that you think help you to be sensitive towards teaching ESL?

If you have other questions you've been asked in previous job interviews, or questions you think are important to think about, please share them!

6 comments:

  1. At the end of the interview, you get a chance to ask your own questions of the interviewers. Make sure you've done your homework and have at least two meaningful questions to ask. How do you do your homework for this? Research and read as much as you can about the program and the institution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great interview questions, it'll surely help me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great topic. I always get tongue-tied in interviews & these questions have helped me to anticipate some of them that might be coming my way in the future--and prepare some responses. Having had to write about my teaching philosophy for assignments in the TESOL program has also helped me to articulate something that might not be so easy to explain off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very helpful. Those are good questions to ask a potential ESL instructor. I recently heard from the IEP program at UCLA and they are looking for instructors for the summer. The pay is $43 an hour. They have different sessions. I'd add the job description here, but I don't know how. I'll take it to class next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went to an interview workshop and got some good ideas about how to answer any "What would you do" type questions. Assuming you have some experience, use your own real solution to the problem that will be given you. Try not to use conditionals if you can supply strong active verbs in their place. The interview is about you. Make yourself look good. Define the situation you had that is similar to the question, identify what you did, tell how you did it, and summarize the outcome. You need to have answers ready to bring forth. Don't just hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are very good questions. Sometimes it is good to have a mentor to address questions like that.

    ReplyDelete